Sunday, December 10, 2006

Ideas From Readers...

Here are two comments from readers who posted on our thread on the builder's forum at www.bateau.com

---Comment 1---
The thing is, high-build primer is expensive, so getting a good sanding done first will save you time and money.

That said, I would do just as you wrote, prime, take a look, and then work those areas that specifically need attention. I've had best results with two coats of the high build then sanding. You might try that misting thing Joel has been doing on the FS14 thread. It seems like a great way to really pick out the problem areas.
---End Comment 1---


---Comment 2---
Before you put primer down...

1) Use straight edges with a light behind it to look for a fair surface. The light will show through between the hull and the straight edge if it is not fair.

2) Position a strong light close the hull surface. Step 6 or more feet away from the hull and look right down the side (block the light with your hand while you can still look down the hull). This will show many imperfections if they exist.

The above doesn't take very long and will tell you if you are ready.

Resist the urge to forge ahead if you have doubts that you are really ready for the next step.
---End Comment 2---

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ozzy,

I'm building the Arctic Tern who's project website you so kindly provide a link to. How did you find my site?

It sounds like you guys are in fairing hell.

See http://members.shaw.ca/ArcticTern3/Vol03Iss06.htm for my take on the subject.

Cheers,

Peter Gron.

OzzyC said...

Hi Peter,

I've had a link to your site for quite a while so I don't remember exactly where I found your site. Most likely it was either referred to me by Andrew Lucking, or I stumbled across it by accident.

I like your methodology and certainly agree that we're in fairing hell. Hopefully though, we're close to finished - for now.