Wednesday, October 03, 2007

F*ckin' A!

Greg and I laid our first coat of paint last night! We painted the portion of the bottom and sides that will be underwater, and after being stuck in sanding and fairing hell for a couple of years, words cannot properly express the gratification that simple coat of paint brought us.

The paint itself was a little different than I expected. I expected a bright red, high-gloss finish. What we saw was rust-colored and had a flat finish. The paint was more watery than a latex paint, but it ran less and dried very quickly. Since I didn't expect to paint, I didn't bother to take the camera, so no pics. Next time.

Man, I'm stoked!

4 comments:

Peter said...

Hallalujah! What kind of paint did you use? How did you apply it- roll and tip? Spray?
Can't wait to see some pics!

OzzyC said...

I don't know the brand. All I know is that it's infused with copper, which is supposed to reduce the amount of crap growing on the bottom of the boat.

We did a simple roll process. Between the flat sheen, the fact that we're painting the bottom, and how quickly the paint dried, Greg didn't see the benefit of a full roll and tip application.

We'll definitely roll and tip the sides though. Greg considered spraying, but decided not to, because he doesn't have any experience applying paint that way.

Peter said...

Oh, that's right- anti-foul bottom paint is what you're doing now. It is supposed to be a matt finish. I believe some brands are "self polishing", meaning they naturally erode away with use, leaving a fresh surface of inhibitory chemicals. So no sense in killing yourselves getting a perfect finish.

bdillahu said...

Yeah!!! Congrats on getting that far!