Friday, February 11, 2005

Every story has a beginning

This isn't the beginning of the process, but it is the beginning of the story. My friend Greg and I built canoes last year out of fiberglass and plywood. It took a few months, and several cases of beer, but in the end, the boats looked great.

Over the summer, Greg decided that he wanted to build a houseboat. After months of research, he finally bought the plans and kit for the houseboat of his dreams. Knowing full well what I was getting myself into, I volunteered to help him on this project, which will probably take 18-24 months to complete. He's buying the beer and giving me a set of keys to the boat when it's finished, so it's not like I'm doing this completely for free. But the real reason I'm helping is because he's my best friend... I've known him for almost 25 years.

This blog is mainly designed as a way of documenting what we're doing as we build Greg's boat, but I suspect it will also be a blog about drinking beer, the stress we experience along the way, and probably about friendship in general. Stay tuned for future developments.

No comments: