Sunday, February 27, 2005

How it all began. A quick sidenote.


Dave, doing what he does best
Originally uploaded by OzzyC.
I've been asked quite a few times "What made Greg decide to build a houseboat, and what kind of massochist are you for volunteering to help?" This picture may help explain it. We love the water. Greg, our friend Darin, and I have been water rats since we earned our canoeing merit badge in Boy Scouts together, over 20 years ago. For over a decade, we've had at least one annual trip where the the three of us and another friend, Sonny, go on an extended canoeing or whitewater kayaking trip. Others have come and gone, but the "core four" of us are always on these trips. So love for the water is one of the driving forces behind building this boat.

Greg is a Mechanical Engineer, and loves to design and build things. He's been that way for as long as I've known him. I've always liked building things too, but I've never had quite the knack that Greg has for complex projects. Once I can conceptualize the basic process of a task, I can frequently find ways to improve or streamline an existing process, but Greg is the visionary. (I'm great at reverse engineering.) So Greg's desire to design/ build and my desire to see the inner workings (how does this work, and how can I make it work better?) is the other major driving force.

And of course there's the friendship factor... hanging out with a friend, drinking a few beers. But I've already covered that aspect in another post.

No comments: